For those of you who aren’t familiar with the awards, Time magazine dubbed them “the Oscars of the food world.” The awards are among the highest honors given to professionals working in all aspects of the food and beverage industry - from chefs to journalists to owners. I’ve yet to see a category for servers and bartenders, though. Maybe they should consider adding one.
Chicagoans nominated include:
- Rich Melman of Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises for the Outstanding Restaurateur
- Grant Achatz of Alinea for Outstanding Chef
- Mindy Segal of HotChocolate for Outstanding Pastry Chef
- Brian Duncan, wine director at Bin 36, for Outstanding Wine Service
- Janet Rausa Fuller of the Chicago Sun-Times is nominated in the Newspaper Feature Writing Without Recipees category for a great article, “Fish Fraud: The Menu Said Snapper, but it Wasn’t“
- Vince Gerasole of Channel 2 Chicago in the Television Food Segment, National or Local for Table for Two
- Graham Elliot Bowles of Avenues, Carrie Nahabedian of Naha and Bruce Sherman of North Pond were each nominated in the Best Chef: Great Lakes region category.
The full list of nominees is available on the James Beard Foundation Awards site.
The awards ceremony will be held June 8, 2008 at the Lincoln Center in New York City.